Western New York Community Celebrates Bishop Timon
Niagara University was co-founded in 1856 by the Rev. John Timon, C.M., and the Rev. John Lynch, C.M. At that time, they sought to prepare young men for the priesthood and to be citizens for society.
Just as they had answered the calling to priesthood and life as Vincentians, Fathers Timon and Lynch endeavored to build an educational mission, which, in the true spirit of St. Vincent, invited others from all walks of life to share in their calling.
Niagara University was originally established as the College and Seminary of Our Lady of Angels, opening its doors with six students and two faculty members. Today, more than 4,000 students are studying in 80-plus majors at NU, comforted by the abiding presence of the Vincentian community or, as St. Vincent described, the “little company.”
The life of Father Timon, who later became the first bishop of Buffalo, was the topic of a conference commemorating his legacy on the 150th anniversary of his death. Held Sept. 22 at Christ the King Seminary in East Aurora, the event included a welcome and prayer by current Bishop Richard J. Malone and presentations by representatives from several institutions founded by Bishop Timon.